Reduce Double Chin: When it comes to appearance, the face is by far the most remarkable body part that others notice first. It is not enough just to pamper your skin externally; a chiselled jaw line and high cheekbones are something that defines the face and gives it a sharp edge.
Fat content anywhere else on the body may be hidden by clothes, but there is no escaping the obviousness of a double chin.
A double chin often causes embarrassment and distress, and can be mostly attributed to weight gain. Fat is often stored under the skin if you are overweight.
Other reasons could be ‘age’, which causes skin sagging, a sedentary lifestyle that encourages obesity and a lax muscle tone, or genetic factors. The genetic makeup of a person can also be responsible for the double chin.
A double chin occurs when a subcutaneous layer of fat around the neck sags and causes the skin to wrinkle. Many families suffer from it due to hereditary reasons. Some families naturally retain water in the chin area and others naturally store excess fat.
Age is also a reason. As a person ages, muscle is lost. So the muscles around the chin weaken and becomes loose.
Many people resort to surgery to get rid of the double chin, but it can also be reduced and eradicated by following a healthy low-fat diet and regular exercises. All said and done, obesity is a major cause and is a sign that you should change your diet.
Now focus your attention to this.
Table of Content
How to Reduce Double Chin
This is how you can get rid of that double chin by following a healthy diet with a mix of various exercises which will focus on your chin muscles and tissues. Remember, a combination of both, diet and exercises will help you in reducing double chin effectively.
Diet to reduce double chin
If fat gives you a double chin, a change of diet will be of great help. The foods that are major contributors of fat are those high in saturated fat, trans-fatty acids, cholesterol and sugar.
Saturated fat raises cholesterol levels, blocks your arteries and causes fat deposition over the body. It is found in meat including beef, lamb, pork and dairy products like cheese and butter.
No more than 10% of your diet should come from saturated fat. Necessary fatty acids can be procured from foods high in monounsaturated fatty acids like fish, nuts and olive oil.
Refined carbohydrates such as white bread turn into sugar in the bloodstream. So, go for whole grains, lots of vegetables and fruits.
The Double Chin can also be reduced with regular facial exercises. These exercises will help tremendously in losing that extra flab below the chin. Some of them are mentioned below:
Exercises to reduce double chin:
- Look straight and then move your chin to the right. Then slowly move it back to the centre. Then move it from the centre to the left and then back to the centre. Repeat this 10 times.
- Next, take your chin to the right then back to the centre and then to the left in a semi-circular fashion. Repeat it a few times.
- Next, move your chin upwards and bend your neck behind as far as possible. Keep it there as long as you can. You will be able to feel the stretch of your vocal cords. Hold the position. Then open your mouth and then close it. Repeat it 10 times. Then gently bring down your chin.
- Then take your chin to the right and raise it upwards. Jut your chin out. Open your mouth and then close it and hold it there. Repeat it a few times. Bring your chin to the centre and relax.
- Now, take your chin to the left and raise upwards. Jut out your chin again. Open and close your mouth and hold it there. Repeat the exercise. Do this every day.
- Sit straight with your back firm and erect. Strain your neck to the right as much as possible and hold it there for 15 seconds. Do the same for the left side.
Another effective exercise is to open your mouth as wide as possible and stick out your tongue as far as you can. Hold this position for 10 seconds and repeat it 10 times. You will feel the immediate tightening of your chin and neck muscles.
Stand with your neck erect and tighten the tendons (a fibrous tissue which connects the muscle to a bone) in your jaw by pulling your lips over your teeth and turning the corners of your mouth downwards as if you are frowning. Hold for 10 seconds then relax. Repeat it a few times.
You can also use a tennis ball for the exercise. Place it against your neck and hold it with your chin. Press your chin against the ball tightly, then slightly release. Repeat it 10 times.
Chewing gum is like a spot exercise for the double chin that is easy and very convenient to do. It will keep your face and chin muscles toned, which ultimately will help you reduce double chin.
The muscles that chew are also the muscles that comprise the double chin. You can chew gum for hours at a time mindlessly and soon enough you will notice the effect on your double chin.
Chewing gum activates your digestive system and contributes to healthier teeth and gums as well. Chew on sugarless gum so that you can avoid tooth decay and further weight gain.
Most anti-ageing skin products contain glycerine for a reason. Glycerine firms up the skin. It is very effective in treating the double chin. Below are a few steps which can help you make your own glycerine mask at home.
- Mix 1 tablespoon of glycerine, a half tablespoon of Epsom salt and several drops of peppermint oil.
- Dip a cotton ball into the mixture and wipe it on your chin and neck area.
- Let it stay for 5-10 minutes and then rinse it with cold water.
Wear a glycerine mask up to 5 times a week to get quick results and reduce double chin.
Similar to glycerine, applying egg whites to the skin firms up the area. In addition, the proteins in the egg nourish the skin and contribute to its health.
For a do-it-yourself egg mask separates the egg whites from two eggs and follow the method below:
- Mix the egg whites with a tablespoon of regular milk, a tablespoon of lemon juice, a tablespoon of honey and several drops of peppermint essential oil.
- Use a mixer if needed so that it is mixed thoroughly. Apply the mask with your fingers on the skin and neck area. Let the mask dry on your skin for 30 minutes.
- Rinse the mask off with cold water so that it doesn’t cook on your face.
A daily application of the mask can rapidly decrease your double chin.
Melting the double chin with melon is also a great option. Any type of melon has positive properties that tone and refresh the skin. Its high water content helps flush out the toxins in the body and helps in weight loss because it makes you feel full sooner.
For a melon juice mask:
- Extract fresh melon juice with a juicer and apply it to your chin and neck area with a cotton ball.
- You can mix apple juice with the melon juice as well.
- Leave the Juice on for 20 minutes and then wash it off.
There are a few other things that you can do to reduce double chin quickly:
- Tongue Press: Sit up straight; tilt your head to face the ceiling. Put pressure on the roof of your mouth by pressing the tongue against it. Lower your chin to the chest. Relax tongue by returning to starting position. Repeat 20 times.
- Pouting With Pressure: Sitting in an upright position, stick out your lower lip as much you can to form a pout. Lower your chin to your chest as far as possible while keeping the lower lip stretched out.Hold for a second and slowly relax your lips and straighten your neck.
- Kissing The Ceiling: Tilt your head back to face the ceiling. Allow your lips to assume a pose like you are attempting to kiss the ceiling by pouting. Extend your lips as far away from your face as possible. Your neck and chin should feel the pressure at this point. Hold for five seconds, then relax your lips and lower your chin to return to starting position. Perform two sets of 15 each.
- Chin Pressing: Standing or sitting with your back upright, rotate your head slowly with your chin leading the way. Drive your chin to turn from one shoulder to another via the chest.Complete a set of 10 in each direction.
- Side Neck Stretch: Place one hand on the floor. Wrap your other arm over the top of your head so that your palm rests on your opposite ear. Bend your head towards your shoulder. Take your fingertips off the floor and place them on your upper arm.
- Jaw Stopper: Move your jaws up and down like you are chewing and keeping your lips together. Inhale deeply and exhale slowly. Open your mouth as wide as possible with the tip of your tongue pressed against your lower teeth. Holding this position, inhale then exhale with a ‘sigh’ sound. The entire move should take 90 seconds.
- Pigeon Face : Hold your jaw by placing your thumb on one side of your jaw, with your index finger in the same location on the opposite jaw. While holding your hand still, push forward against your hand with your neck and head. Hold this position for 30 seconds, then release your hand and move your neck back to starting position. Repeat this thrice.
Hope this article will help you in your efforts to reduce double chin quickly and effectively. Having said all this, there is no greater satisfaction than appreciating yourself. Your appearance amounts to much more than your genetic makeup.
The way you dress, the way you communicate with others, the way you carry yourself is far more important than the appearance of a double chin. Appreciate yourself and stay healthy!