A lot of men and women suffer from this problem of getting razor bumps on their skin. There are many reasons for this skin infection but the sooner you go ahead with the treatment; the sooner it will get cured.
If you just leave it and not treat it, then it may turn into a painful zit and it will keep on spreading. Razor bumps are so known as Pseudofolliculitis barbae, razor burn or ingrown hair, but forget about that.
According to a survey, it has been observed that 79% of the men suffer from various skin infections such as razor bumps. They don’t only make the skin look dull and rough, but even make the skin age faster.
Women also suffer from this problem, especially when they shave their pubic hair or groin area. They suffer from immense pain and burning and it is called ingrown hair.
- 1 Razor Bumps Symptoms
- 2 How to Get Rid of Razor Bumps
- 2.1 Before shaving, exfoliate the skin:
- 2.2 Tight Underwear will create irritation and bacteria:
- 2.3 Rub Alcohol on the affected area:
- 2.4 Compress of warm and cold temperature:
- 2.5 Apply some Distilled Vinegar:
- 2.6 Oatmeal and Baking Soda:
- 2.7 Lemon, Aloe vera, and Cucumber are a natural remedy:
- 2.8 Use Teabags as a warm compression:
- 2.9 Tea Tree Oil will cure razor bumps fast:
- 2.10 Witch Hazel:
- 3 Prevention and Precaution
- 4 Over to You
Razor Bumps Symptoms
- The area which is affected will start itching nonstop and it will become red.
- It will start stinging if that skin gets touched or poked at.
- The bumps will look soaring red on the skin.
- The skin will look like a rash and the skin may get small red spots all over.
- Razor bumps create extreme discomfort and this is the sign of treating the area as soon as possible.
The skin is a very sensitive area on the body; therefore, utmost care should be taken of it. Some people use chemical products which are too harmful to the skin and there may be some cases where it may not suit some people.
Always check the expiry date while buying any product and a product where the expiry date has been crossed should be thrown and not used. There are many people who neglect certain precautions while buying a product. Double check the expiry date so that you don’t have to suffer a lot of pain and irritation by having skin rashes etc.
How to Get Rid of Razor Bumps
The following content will give natural and effective remedies in getting rid of Razor Bumps fast.
Before shaving, exfoliate the skin:
Exfoliating the skin will help the pores of the skin to become soft because it has been moisturised and the hair has been lightened by softening the sebum in the hair follicles to cure razor bumps.
Try using AHA and BHA (alpha and beta hydroxyl acids) because it will help in exfoliating the skin. Moisturising the skin will help in not creating much irritation to the area and it will keep it soft and healthy.
By using this method, it will be more of an advantage for you to keep your skin protected from harsh pollution and dust. Waxing is a really very harsh action on your body and sometimes, it also rips off the upper layer of the skin. Therefore, it is recommended to put this solution on the body to have a smoother experience.
Check out this video to know more about AHA and BHA:
Tight Underwear will create irritation and bacteria:
Underwear which is too tight can prevent a proper inflow of air to the pubic area which will then infest with bacteria and create razor bumps or ingrown hair. More irritation will only make the matter worse so wear loose underwear so that there is an inflow of air.
According to research, tight underwear creates more bacteria no matter how clean it is. The bacteria are created when there is too much of sweat and dirt.
Tight underwear will cause discomfort by giving panty lines and some burns on your skin. When tight underwear is rubbed against the skin, the skin disrupts and the skin pores will open and all the dirt will go inside the skin, thus creating razor bumps.
Rub Alcohol on the affected area:
By rubbing alcohol on the area after it has been shaved, it will help in keeping the skin dry and it will not let it chaff and thus, not create any irritation after shave. You can also rub a deodorant stick and it will help in not turning the hair inwards.
Alcohol closes the pores of the skin, thus it helps in preventing razor bumps and to get rid of them faster. Alcohol is really great for skin because it works as an inflammatory and effectively works in closing the pores of the skin. Therefore, the chances of dust going inside the skin are minimal.
Recommended: How to Get Rid of Oily Skin on Face
Compress of warm and cold temperature:
Warm and cold compressions will close the pores of the skin and will treat the skin infection also. By giving a compression, it can reduce the pain and irritation of the razor bumps.
Put some ice on the affected area to reduce the irritation and you can also wrap the area with a thin ice cold cloth to get rid of razor bumps faster. Warm compressions and heat packs will cure the painful ingrown hair and once the irritation has been decreased, put an aloe vera gel or some cold cream to soothe the skin.
Apply some Distilled Vinegar:
Apple cider vinegar or Distilled vinegar is considered to be one of the best remedies for treating razor bumps and soothing inflammation. Take a cloth and dip it in an Apple cider vinegar and apply it on the affected area. If you are going for a full body wax, then this is highly recommended after the body has been waxed to decrease and reduce the inflammation.
At the start, it will pain and burn while putting the vinegar but it is totally worth the pain because of its healing wonders. This not only soothes the skin but also protects the skin from all the unwanted bacteria.
Oatmeal and Baking Soda:
Baking soda paste if applied over the area after a shave will help in reducing the itchiness and also the burning sensation after shave. Oatmeal and baking soda are two powerful and highly recommended remedies to treat and prevent razor bumps.
Apply the paste on the areas which have been shaved. This will act like a cold cream. While applying the paste, gently scrub it on the shaved area to exfoliate the skin. Try keeping it on for 30 minutes or so on the area which has been shaved to get rid of razor bumps quickly.
Lemon, Aloe vera, and Cucumber are a natural remedy:
The best way to heal and prevent razor bumps on the skin is by putting Aloe vera, lemon and cucumber on the skin. It is one of the best natural and inexpensive methods of treating the skin.
People spend a lot of money in buying expensive creams but why not use natural and inexpensive methods to achieve the same purpose? This method is very cooling and relaxing because there is no stress of spending too much money on the products. Moreover, these remedies are a cooling experience and it’s like you are having a spa day.
Use Teabags as a warm compression:
If you simply put on a warm cloth or heat packs on the affected area, it will take some time to get treated fast. However, using teabags as a warm compression will cure the razor bumps and also prevent it from recurring further.
- Try using teabags as a warm compression to prevent razor bumps.
- Heat a mug full of water and put a tea bag in it.
- Apply it on the affected area as a warm compression.
- You can also use it as a cold compression by keeping it in the refrigerator for 10 minutes and then applying it to the affected area.
Tea Tree Oil will cure razor bumps fast:
Tea tree oil is highly recommended and popular for treating skin infections. It is not only popular but in fact, it really plays wonders in healing a skin infection quickly and effectively. Tea tree oil is known for its antibacterial and antifungal properties.
It prevents and reduces the chances of getting razor bumps right after a shave. Nowadays, dermatologists and skin specialists recommend creams and oils which have an extract of tree tea oil.
It will be more effective if you mix tree tea oil and olive oil and leave it on for 10 minutes. Many face washes, face creams, and face oils have tea tree oil in it because of its effective ways in clearing out the skin problems.
You can buy the one which I personally use and love it – Essential Tea Tree Oil
Witch Hazel has astringent qualities and it makes it effective for soothing skin irritation and preventing razor bumps. It is highly recommended to use it before shaving because it cleanses the skin so that it doesn’t create any bacteria and clears the impurities from the skin.
Witch Hazel contains Salicylate compounds that prevent in incurring pimples and blisters on the skin. This not only cures the razor bumps but it also clears all the dark spots and blemishes making the skin smooth and healthy.
Put this oil daily on the face and it will not only clear your skin of all the impurities but will also give a glow to the face.
Again, since many versions of Witch Hazel oil are available in market, I’ll link the one I use it for myself – Astringent Witch Hazel
Prevention and Precaution
- Don’t shave regularly and consistently in one place because that will make the skin irritate more. Gently shave so that you are not harsh on your skin and avoid getting a cut by a razor.
- Put some warm water so that your pores are open and the hair becomes soft. It will be easy to shave smoothly on the skin.
- Use some techniques while shaving because that will help your skin in not getting damaged more.
- Wash the razor with alcohol so the razor doesn’t catch on some rust on it. Some people don’t wash their razors or they just give a simple wash with water but actually, the razor catches up with some rust. Thus, it creates skin infections if these razors are used again.
- If you get razor bumps or a pimple, then don’t touch it. By poking and picking up on it, it will irritate the area more and the boil will become bigger and bigger.
- Always keep your hands clean so that even if you touch your skin, it shouldn’t spread many bacteria to create boils. During shaving, these boils can come in contact with the razor and can create razor bumps.
- Keep some ointments handy so that even if you get a small zit, you can treat it at that time only and reduce the chances of the bump getting more inflamed.
- Use an electric shaver instead of using a razor so that it may prevent the face and other parts of the body from getting razor bumps.
Over to You
There are many remedies and methods to effectively cure and prevent razor bumps from occurring again in the future. Do all the necessary treatments to cure the razor bumps. If you just ignore this problem, it can also lead to cancer because of the germs and bacteria getting collected day by day.
There are some creams, soaps, and powders to keep the pubic areas clean; especially for women. Women suffer a lot with razor bump problems after they shave their vagina because of not taking due care and neglecting some essential things to do after a shave.
When treating such skin problems, it is recommended to go for Ayurvedic methods. Chemical products may further add to your problem because there must be some chemical not agreeing with you. Keeping yourself clean and clear externally improves the health and also improves the confidence factor in a human being.