Feeling Nauseated? This feeling of nausea is as common as laughing and crying. Nausea is commonly more irritating than Vomiting period. With nausea, you may or not may not vomit. And that feeling is totally maddening. Nausea followed by vomiting will make you sicker. It stimulates the Vagus nerve thereby reducing the pulse rate and blood pressure which causes giddiness.
Nausea is not a disease. It is a condition which is temporary. It becomes serious when it becomes persistent or if it appears as a symptom of some other disease.
Common Causes of Nausea
|Excessive Fatigue||Motion Sickness||Anxiety||Strong Fragrances|
|Excessive Physical Pain||Bouts of Food poisoning||Stomach Flu||GERD|
|Inflammatory Bowel Disease||Gall Bladder Diseases||Excessive smoking||Excessive Alcohol|
If you have been looking for some ingredients out of your kitchen for getting rid of nausea, we have you covered. Here is a look at some of the most effective remedies.
Get rid of Nausea with Ginger
Chemotherapy or Pregnancy, nothing is more effective that Ginger when it comes to beating Nausea. Eating ginger in any form triggers secretion of digestive juices which inherently neutralise stomach acids and the volatile oils evidently present in ginger also sooth the stomach lining.
Whatever way of consuming ginger may suit you is okay, but just stay away from Ginger Ale, because it is anything but ginger! You need real ginger and not just the flavouring.
- Try consuming ginger tea. Boil water and add 1-2 one inch pieces of Ginger in it. Let it boil for two or three minutes and let it steep for another two to three minutes after you have covered it and put it on the flame. Add honey for taste and drink it.
- Not fond of Ginger tea? Now worries! Chew Raw Ginger. Enhance the taste with a little sprinkle of black salt and chew on it.
- 1 tbsp. ginger juice + 1 tbsp. lemon juice + ¼ tbsp. baking soda is the best you could have to ease nausea.
The fresh citric fragrance of lemons is all that you need to push away the horrid nauseating feeling. They look lovely, smell lovely and the citric acid helps in eliminating nausea.
Drink a refreshing lemon juice to get rid of nausea. Add lemon juice and salt to water or avoid the salt if you have high blood pressure. Gulp it down. You can almost feel it working instantly. Lemon juice helps get rid of nausea after drinking and also helps in a hangover.
- Licking lemons. This is as interesting as it sounds. Add 1 tbsp. of honey with 1 tbsp. of lemon juice. Mix it well. Dip your finger in this paste and lick it off while you take a deep breath to inhale the lemon flavoured citric smell.
- Just smell the lemons! Take a lemon and cut it into two halves, bring a half close to your nose. Inhale the fragrance. It should neither be too close nor faint away. Breathing deeply and inhaling the fragrance will help you get rid of nausea naturally.
- Get rid of nausea while pregnant just by sucking a lemon. It effectively helps nausea relief due to morning sickness.
Cumin – The Wonder Spice
Though Indian and middle eastern cooking traditions extensively use Cumin seeds, it is famous for its therapeutic properties. Not only does it help secrete digestive enzymes in the pancreas, but it also helps in absorption of nutrition in the body.
Wondering how to get rid of nausea using cumin?
Well, try the Cumin tea. Just add a few grains of cumin in a cup and pour boiling water over it. Let it steep for five minutes. Adding a pinch of nutmeg powder will enhance the aroma and taste.
- Don’t discard the seeds, eat them as well.
- Eat a spoon of cumin seeds directly for immediate relief. This remedy is very effective in getting rid of nausea from hangovers or nausea from anxiety just like lemon.
- If you want to immediately get rid of nausea after your night full of drinking, just add some cumin seeds to a cup of water and drink.
Have Mint Tea
Very effective in getting rid of nausea from pregnancy and birth control, mint is considered to be very soothing. The mint leaves have been used as a traditional home remedy for nausea and other problems since ages.
Mint helps in extensively relaxing the stomach and is antispasmodic in nature. If you are also feeling cramps in the abdominal area while you are nauseated, peppermint tea is the best solution.
Take around 3-4 dried mint leaves in a cup and pour hot water over them. Let it steep for some time and add honey. Though it is recommended that you chew the leaves along, you may also choose to discard them.
Inhaling Peppermint Aroma
Aromatherapy is my favourite remedy for most of the health issues like dizziness, drowning, headache etc. And I am going to use it in getting rid of nausea as well.
- Just as the citric fragrance of a lemon can cure a nauseating feeling, peppermint oil is very soothing when it comes to getting rid of nausea. If you are trying to get rid of nausea due to motion sickness, this is the most trusted remedy.
- While on the run, you can just dab a few drops of peppermint oil on a cotton swab and keep inhaling the fragrance. You can use the finger as well but you would have to wash the finger properly before you do this.
- Another better way is to rub the oil on your gums in the mouth. You can either inhale the fumes or apply it on the gums depending upon your comfort level.
If you are from the USA, you can buy this aroma oil from Amazon.
A smooth smell emanates from the herb, reducing the effect of nausea and gives you an immediate relief. Antibacterial and antiviral in nature, Cinnamon is the spice to help you cure any stomach infections.
Take either a Cinnamon stick or ½ tbsp. cinnamon powder and pour hot water over it. Cover it and steep it for 3-4 minutes and sip it. Discard the stick if that is what you have used to make your tea.
If not then just stir it and enjoy it. Because it is naturally sweet in taste, you do not need to add sugar or honey to it.
Ayurveda to Get rid of Nausea
A powerfull mixture for treating nausea which keeps coming back is making this brilliant homemade remedy to treat it.
- Add Equal amounts of Indian Gooseberry juice (Amla), cumin seeds, black pepper, powdered sugar and honey in equal amounts of 1 tbsp.
- Take all ingredients except honey and mix it. Keep it in an airtight container.
- Every day take ½ or ¼ tbsp. of this dry mixture and add it to one spoon of honey to keep irritating nausea at bay.
Deep Breathing also helps you get rid of nausea which may be due to any stimulus., The only thing which will work if you have nothing of the above remedies at hand is deep breathing which needs nothing but clean and fresh air as your remedy.
- Close your eyes.
- Inhale slowly through nose feeling the air going into your nose, your brain and to your lungs.
- Now exhale through your mouth releasing all the air that you have taken in.
- Do this for about 3-5 minutes.
Clove Aroma Therapy
I can’t stress enough how handy aromatherapy is in treating nausea at home. Another excellent nausea-fighting spice is clove. Due to its aromatic and soothing properties, clove is very helpful in reducing nausea symptoms. It can even be used to treat pregnancy-related nausea and morning sickness.
- You can try using Clove powder or the whole of it. Add one teaspoon of clove powder to boiling water. Cover it for some time while it boils and then strain it. Drink it as needed. If you wish, you may add one spoon of honey to it.
- Did not like consuming it? Well, inhaling it is as effective as drinking it. Put a few drops of Clove oil on a handkerchief and inhale it in, taking deep long breaths.
- Chew it like gum and let is revolve around in your mouth before you swallow it. The slow release of the aroma and the taste will aid your nausea.
Drinking Rice Water
Boil some rice in a pan for 20 minutes and then strain the liquid. Drink the water which is left behind after you strain the rice out of it.
If you wish to add some flavouring to it, add honey. Rice water which is also considered to be a remedy as old as the 150 BC is the easiest way which happens to be the most effective.
Also, remember that rice water contains lots of starch and carbs. It should be consumed in limited quantity to keep your weight in check. Around 300 ml is favourable.
Locate the acupressure point which is about 2 to 3 fingers of width below the crease in the wrist for around five minutes. It has proven to be a relief for many people. If you cannot locate the point properly, see this acupressure website and check TW 5 point in the image.
This is one method you can try anywhere and is perfect when you feel nauseated right in the morning after waking up or if you are pregnant. If you hate travelling due to motion sickness, there is absolutely no need to be worried now that you know of this method.
Bonus: Viparita Karani (Legs on the wall pose)
Viparita Karani is one of the easiest yoga poses which requires no effort. Simply lie on a yoga mat or any long cloth such that your legs rest on the vertical wall. Keep your legs rested on the wall. Remain in this position for 7 minutes.
Repeat this yoga pose for a couple of times, if necessary. This yoga exercise for nausea tones up the digestive tissue and increases blood circulation to the brain thereby improving the power of digestion and fighting indigestion that causes nausea.
Do’s and Don’ts
What you should be following
- Consume at least six glasses of water every day. Preferably cold water for better results.
- Reduce your caffeine intake.
- Eat the meal slowly in smaller quantities 5 times a day.
- Exercise and physical activity is a must.
- Eating meals at room temperature is advised; neither too hot nor too cold. Include a lot of rice, avocado, broccoli, bananas, apples and toast in your healthy diet.
- If you wake up feeling nauseated in the morning, eat a bit of cheese before you go to bed last night. Munch on a few nuts and dry fruits the moment you wake up.
- Suck on candies while travelling to work or school. We all love them, don’t we?
Recommended: This Secret Okinawa Diet will Help you Live Longer
What you should be avoiding
- Avoid drinking any fluids when you are eating.
- Do not indulge in eating food which your body cannot digest.
- Stay away from alcohol. Once a week is considered OK.
- Do not sit in warm rooms.
- Avoid repulsive smell.
- Stay away from food too spicy and hot.
Over To You
While it is usually a temporary condition which may have been triggered by something or the other, a condition of nausea which refuses to subside could be indicative of various liver and kidney ailments.
Though trying home remedies for nausea is much better than consuming the medicines initially, but negligence should not be practised. Check with your medical advisor as soon as you sense that something is wrong with you.
If you have any questions on how to get rid of nausea at home, or if you have any more ideas on ways to get rid of nausea, let us know your thoughts in the comments below and let’s help the people around us together!
Hand Picked for you: