Just like we don’t like oily skin on face, we feel clumsy, yuck and uncomfortable with oily hair. The feeling of freshness goes away and therefore it is very important to get rid of greasy hair as soon as we can.
Greasy hair is caused due to constant exposure of hair to pollution and dry air during travelling. The scalp turns oily and itchy, the hair becomes too heavy due to oil and if you do not get rid of them, your beautiful hair will become thin eventually which causes loss in its lustre and silkiness.
If you want to get rid of greasy hair and get back your fluffy, shiny and fresh hair, there are some easy home remedies you can follow to fix greasy hair, without spending a dime.
Highly Recommended – How to Get Rid of Oily Skin on Face: The Only Working Guide
How to Get Rid of Greasy Hair
The main reason for fixing greasy hair is that it not only causes tangling and uncomfortable feeling, but it can also cause you dandruff all over your scalp. So lets dive straight into it without further ado:
- Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera is used as a powerful anti-oxidant and also known for its cleansing properties in order to get rid of grease and oil from your hair. Some ways you can use Aloe Vera effectively are:
- Mix the aloe vera gel with a shampoo to remove oil from your hair.
- Apply the aloe vera gel directly onto your scalp and hair, rub it thoroughly for 15 minutes. Take more gel if you start feeling dry during rubbing, and then rinse it off with lukewarm water.
- Make a mixture of a shampoo, a tablespoon of lemon juice and one teaspoon of aloe vera gel in a cup. Mix this paste well and apply it on to your greasy hair as well as scalp for 10 minutes. Rinse it off thoroughly.
Vinegar has more than 125 different household uses, including cleaning of toilets, oily dishes, oily floors etc. It has useful properties which will also help you get rid of greasy hair and scalp.
Vinegar is so strong that you first need to dilute it by 35% with the help of few drops of water before using it. Massage this liquid onto your scalp as well as hair throughout for 5 minutes and leave it as it is for 12 minutes. Wash it off later with lukewarm water. Use this for at the most thrice a week to fix greasy hair.
PS: If you are like me and don’t like the smell of vinegar, don’t worry, it will go away as soon as the hair becomes dry.
Use this home remedy to get rid of greasy hair for a maximum of twice a week. Also note that if you are under the legal age of drinking alcohol, please do this remedy with the permission and supervision of your parents.
- Lemon Juice
This is a good option for people who do not use/consume Beer. We all know lemon juice contains citric acid that makes it a natural bleaching agent for getting rid of greasy hair and oil from skin scalp. The best way to use it effectively is as follows.
- Take out juice from 2 big lemon in a bowl.
- Mix this juice with a small cup of water.
- Apply this mixture onto your hair including the scalp.
- Leave it for 10 minutes.
- Wash it off with warm water.
- Extract juice from 1 lemon and mix it in a small cup of water.
- Add 3 teaspoons of honey in the above liquid and mix it thoroughly.
- Apply this to your greasy hair and leave it for 12 minutes.
- Rinse it with a good quality shampoo during bath.
Lemon juice is good for fixing greasy hair and oily hair as well as in getting rid of dandruff and dirt. Choose any of the above remedy and follow them 4 times a week for best results.
- Henna Powder
Henna Powder is basically used for giving a colour change to your hair, but it also helps in removing extra oil from your hair, scalp and making it grease free, but also in making your hair soft, lustrous and silky.
Take 5 tablespoon of henna powder (any colour as you please) and mix it with 2 cups of water. The paste should be of smooth consistency. Apply this paste on your hair and leave it as it is until it is dry. Rinse off with lukewarm water and you will find your hair getting rid of greasy hair and give them shiny and fresh appearance.
Henna Powder is available on Amazon and if you are outside the US, any food store or local market can be used to get Henna Powder.
Egg yolk has often been used for curing blackheads and blemishes on oily face and therefore it fits good for using it to get rid of greasy hair by removing excess oil from scalp and hair as a conditioner.
Take 2 eggs and mix the yolk with curd and 2 tablespoon of lemon juice. Beat the mixture properly until it forms a consistent paste. Apply this paste on your entire scalp and oily hair keeping it for 15 minutes. Wash it off with lukewarm water.
If you are a vegetarian like me, consider the rest of the options excluding this method if you are not comfortable buying and using eggs.
- Baking Soda
There are several ways of using baking soda for removing oil from hair and greasy hair fix, but I am going to share just 1 method which are safe for your hair, because the others may have risk which may damage your hair. So do not use any other method you read elsewhere.
Some websites will ask you to add baking soda to your shampoo and rub it on your hair. Do not do that. The chemicals in shampoo will react with baking soda which is harmful to your hair.
The only way you can use this is by taking some baking soda powder and mix it with a cup of water. Apply this to your greasy hair and rinse it off with water. This will help you remove grease from your hair and make it silky and fluffy. Baking soda has properties clean your oily scalp.
Tea leaves have an important ingredient called tannic acid which is excellent in removal of oil and grease from hair and scalp and therefore we are going to use it as well. Take some tea leaves or tea powder, whatever you use in your kitchen, and boil it in water for 8 minutes. Allow the water to cool down and add 1 teaspoon of lemon juice in water.
Must Read: 10 Mind Blowing Health Benefits of Coffee
Use this liquid for applying it to your hair and scalp, leave it for 8 minutes on your hair before rinsing and washing it off with your shampoo and water for quick greasy hair fix.
- Organic Honey
Honey has thousands of health and skin benefits since ancient ages. Honey is a good alternative to get rid of greasy hair and oily scalp and the results are simply very effective. In order to use honey, follow the below steps:
- Take 2 tablespoon of honey and mix it with 1 egg yolk.
- Keep this paste stand as it is for 15 minutes and mix it again.
- Now, apply this paste properly to your hair and massage your scalp gently.
- Keep it as it is for next 30 minutes.
- Rinse it off using a good quality shampoo.
- Repeat couple of times a week, not more.
Also, since honey is very sticky, you may feel weird while massaging it to hair. But the result after washing it off are brilliant and will help you get rid of greasy hair overnight.
Last but not the least, a good quality hair shampoo is very important to keep your hair soft and oil free. Do not hesitate to go for a costlier shampoo instead of a budget friendly one, as it may not always be the best choice. Always read reviews about the best shampoo available in market.
Washing your greasy hair daily will help you keep away from oily scalp and hair caused due to pollution and sweat secretion. Oily hair is common problem if you have an active schedule and thus you should not miss shampoo wash every time you have bath.
Greasy Hair Fix: Quick Tips
- Don’t wash your hair more than 3 times per week if you are a woman, as it will make your long hair very dry and rough, which we do not want. If you are a man, consider washing your greasy and oily hair everyday.
- It is highly recommended to use a good quality and chemical free shampoo to wash your oily hair. A good shampoo can make your hair smooth, silky and shiny.
- Whenever using any of the above 10 methods of applying it to the hair, don’t forget to rinse off your hair thoroughly with lukewarm water, don’t overdo it though. Take at least 30 seconds to rinse so that no residue is left on the scalp of hair which may cause dandruff.
- Do not touch and ruffle your hair too much. Also avoid using comb and brush as less as you can. Have your own separate brush and comb and avoid using someone else’s. They may have oily hair and you may just spread it onto you.
- Avoid getting your head in contact with warm temperature. It will not only lead to a dry and rough hair, it will also make your hair more greasy and oily since the scalp will secrete sweat containing oil in the skin pores. So don’t wash your hair with hot water, instead lukewarm water and cover your hair when travelling out. Also, if you use hair dryers, use it at a low temperature, or better not to use it at all.
- Stress is a major cause of greasy hair and oily scalp. The more the stress you take, more you are going to sweat. It will lead to more extraction of oil and taking stress anyways does no good either to your health or the work due to which you are stressed. Combat stress by going to movies, comedy plays or anything that pleases you. Being happy and laughing is the ultimate way of being healthy and fit. Read this – How to Get Rid of Dark Circles Naturally at Home
- Healthy diet for getting rid of greasy hair is a must for everyone who wants to fix it. A healthy diet contains lots of vitamins, minerals, calcium, protein, zinc and iron which play a key role in keeping your hair strong, thick and nourished.
So these were the best and time-tested ways to get rid of oily hair that have worked for more than 10 thousand people. If you have this question of how to get rid of greasy hair fast, following at least 5 of the above methods will fix your greasy hair problem.
If this article has helped you, do not forget to share it with your friends and comment your thoughts on it in the comments below, it is free!