Healthy Breakfast Ideas: “Let thy food be thy medicine and thy medicine be thy food”.
When we take appropriate food at the appropriate time at the appropriate levels, there would be no such thing as a disease in our body and there would be no need for any kind of medicines and supplements as well. That much is the importance of the food we take. Healthy breakfast has a preliminary role in this.
The great man Leonardo da Vinci compared the process of metabolism in the body to the burning of a candle. The candle burns out if there’s no wax and candle cannot start burning unless there’s an ignition. It’s an excellent metaphor, our body works in a similar way and a Healthy Breakfast is a kick-start to our metabolism of the day.
Here, we are going to discuss some healthy breakfast ideas to help you start your day better. Before we go to healthy breakfast ideas, let’s know something about breakfast and its effect on the physical and mental performance on our body.
Effects of a Good Breakfast on the Mental and Physical Performance:
Skipping breakfast is not only common but has become a fashionable statement among many. Children and adults go to school or work after having little or no food for breakfast. Some of these people may take only coffee or tea.
Though it’s pretty obvious that this practice is unhealthy, we all want it to be reinforced with some research work. So, studies were done to measure the physical and mental performance of people who had healthy breakfast and who did not have and the results were compared.
It showed that the eating of healthy breakfast increased the speed of mental response and improved the performance of physical work during the late morning hours. Further, skipping of healthy breakfast sometimes resulted in adverse reactions such as muscle tremors, fatigue, dizziness, nausea and vomiting when some physical activity was undertaken in the morning.
Healthy breakfast recipe should contain Proteins in high levels. Researchers who studied the effects of eating a good healthy breakfast have suggested that the benefits are mainly due to Proteins.
Table of Content
Healthy Breakfast Ideas
So, keeping in mind all these high-level studies and research, our healthy breakfast ideas will include healthy breakfast recipes, quick breakfast ideas that you can do within 15 minutes and also some healthy breakfast ideas to lose weight, with good protein content and a lot more to keep you energetic and healthy.
Let’s get started with some of the healthy breakfast ideas and recipes:
Are you on a diet to reduce weight and looking for healthy breakfast ideas to lose weight? Here’s a quick breakfast recipe for you.
Here are a couple of quick breakfast ideas, they’re salads but tastier ones to start your day with. If your appetite for taste is quite satisfied at the morning itself, it’ll make you crave less for tastier foods and hence helps you in your plan of controlling your weight gain.
- Plum Avocado Salad
Avocado is not only good for skin but also seems to top the list of foods on anyone who’s on a diet. So let’s see a salad which could use avocado to make a tasty blend of ingredients.
- two medium ripe avocados,
- five medium sized ripe plums,
- one cup chopped fresh cilantro and
- a small clove of garlic.
- olive oil and
- dried red chilli pepper.
- Peel the plums and cut it into small cubes.
- Do the same with the Avocado.
- Place both these into a dish. Make sure you handle them gently and do not mix too much or it spoils the salad.
- Squeeze a lemon and sprinkle some salt over this. Smash up the garlic with a little salt.
- Mix the red chilli pepper with the smashed garlic and also some cilantro. Make this smooth by adding olive oil.
- Now add this to the dish and mix gently. Your avocado’s blend with plums would make an excellent and healthy breakfast food.
- Egg Tomato and Greens Salad
Here’s another salad for egg lovers. It’s tasty and contains lots of proteins, vitamins and minerals.
- Greens (Lettuce etc.)
- An egg
- Olive oil
- Salt and Pepper
- Arrange a large handful of greens on a plate.
- Slice some tomatoes evenly and arrange them on top of it. Poach an egg and keep it in the centre of the arrangement.
- Whisk vinegar, olive oil and a pinch of salt in a small bowl and pour it over the salad. Top it with freshly grounded pepper.
- If you feel like eating some cheese, sprinkle some over it. There, a healthy breakfast idea to fuel your brain for the day!
Check out: The Secret Okinawa Diet to Live Longer
Pearl Millet Porridge
The name might sound new to many, but it’s an age-old breakfast recipe of the Indians and is proven to be a healthy breakfast food and also recently claimed to be a part of healthy breakfast ideas to lose weight worldwide.
It’s so healthy that people used to have a small amount of this porridge in the morning and do the field work without getting tired. Obviously, it’s a healthy breakfast recipe to be treasured. Let’s see how to make it.
- half a cup of pearl millet (Bajra in Hindi),
- one and a half cup of water to cook it,
- one cup of buttermilk and
- salt to taste.
- Wash the millet and drain excess water. Let it sit for about 15 minutes. Then grind it coarsely, about two turns in our mixer would suffice.
- Add one and a half cup of water to this and pressure cook for 3 whistles (just cooking it in a pan is another option but it’s a bit time consuming and you’ll have to check the consistency – it should be cooked till it’s soft).
- Allow it to cool for some time.
- Now add some water and buttermilk to this along with the salt needed. Mix well and serve with pearl onions, green chillies or pickles.
- You can even preserve it before adding buttermilk, in the form of balls in the refrigerator for later use.
- You’ll just have to take a ball, add some water and buttermilk, mix and drink. This super healthy breakfast porridge will help you to keep yourself adequately hydrated during summer as well!
Healthy Breakfast Sandwich
Sandwiches are suitable for any meal, be it breakfast or lunch. So, an article on healthy breakfast ideas wouldn’t be complete if we don’t mention a healthy breakfast recipe for sandwich preparation.
Anything that you feel healthy to eat could be made into a sandwich, and make it even healthier by using whole wheat bread rather that the white bread. Let me make it easier by giving you two easy breakfast recipes in the form of sandwiches.
- Egg Cheese Sandwich
This is one of the super quick breakfast recipes for your kids to take in tiffin.
- One large egg
- Whole Wheat Bread
- Marinara sauce
- Take a large egg and beat it well.
- Pour it into a hot pan and while it gets cooked, stir it occasionally to make it in the form of small curds.
- Now take two slices of whole wheat bread and toast it.
- Spread some marinara sauce over them, add the cooked egg and sprinkle some cheese onto it.
- Close the sandwich and slightly heat it in a pan or an oven until the cheese melts. There, you have a delicious and healthy breakfast recipe! It would contain a balanced amount of fat, calories and proteins for your morning breakfast.
- Mexican Bean Sandwich
Let me also give you an example of a Mexican type delicious and healthy breakfast idea which is also a sandwich.
- Refried Beans
- Whole Wheat Bread
- Prepared salsa
- Shredded Cheese
- Lettuce (Optional)
- Take two tablespoons of canned nonfat refried beans (or just take some leftover beans at home), one tablespoon of prepared salsa, one tablespoon of shredded cheese specifically Mexican blend or jack (to make the dish more Mexican). And of course, whole wheat bread.
- Toast the bread, spread the beans on the toast.
- Top it with salsa and then cheese.
- Microwave on high until the cheese melts and beans are hot which would take approximately 45 seconds.
Enjoy trying your tasty and healthy breakfast sandwiches and pack it up for your kid’s tiffin box as well!
Fermented and Steamed Rice cake (Idli)
If you’re an Indian, it’s possible that you know what this dish is. It’s an excellent recipe and serves as a healthy breakfast food for all! If you are not aware of it, let me just tell you. It’s easy to make, very tasty and healthy.
Researchers state that fermentation increases the nutritive value of the food.
To make the fermented and steamed rice cake, you need to prepare the perfect batter first. Skip the batter making procedure if you manage to find the readymade batter in your nearby Indian store.
- black gram (urad dhal),
- some fenugreek,
- salt and water.
- Soak the rice in plain water for about 6 hours and the urad dhal (one fourth the quantity of rice taken) and fenugreek (a small handful – about two tablespoons) for about an hour.
- Grind them in a mixer or grinder with an appropriate quantity of water. Add salt and leave it to ferment overnight.
- This batter, you can prepare during the weekend and store it.
- After this, the preparation takes hardly 10 minutes and serves as a quick breakfast recipe.
- Pour the batter into the idli mould and steam cook it for 10minutes.
You can buy the Idli Mould from Amazon US. If you don’t have a mould, here’s how you can prepare idli without a mould:
- Take your muffin mould
- or else identify some small bowls from your kitchen, about one-fourth the size of a soup bowl.
- Add appropriate quantity of the batter into each of these bowls.
- Keep a vessel on the stove, add some water, place a plate (any metal plate would be fine, a porous plate is preferable) over a raised platform (your small grill plate or even a small vessel upturned could give this raised platform).
- Keep the small bowls filled with batter over this plate. Cook under steam for about 7-10 minutes on low flame.
- In order to check if it’s adequately cooked, you can insert a lubricated toothpick into it and it should come out clean.
Your idli is ready to serve hot. Perfect for a healthy breakfast food during monsoon.
Strawberry Quinoa Bowl
Not only does this breakfast recipe look good, but is also quick in making and tastes delicious. A single bowl of this recipe is filled with protein and carbohydrates that will make you super energetic and active.
As Alyssa says, this recipe has many hard-to-find nutrients to keep you hustling all the time. This quick breakfast recipe will take as low as 5-8 minutes to make, so if you are a working class family, this one is for you.
- Goji Berries
- Sugar (Or any non-sugar sweetener)
- Honey (Optional)
- Take some strawberries, sweetener and blend it with milk. It should now be pink in color, just like a strawberry milkshake, but a little less thick in consistency.
- Take a bowl and add some Quinoa in it, as per your appetite.
- Pour the above made strawberry milk over it, just like you would do for cornflakes.
- Take some almonds and walnuts. Cut them into halves or small pieces.
- Add all these almonds, walnuts, blueberries and goji berries on top in small quantities.
- Add a tablespoon of honey on top of this and you are ready to go!
- Whole Wheat Pancakes
Don’t get alarmed. Any pancake is good but the refined flour or all purpose flour that is generally used in pancakes cannot be boasted as something healthy. The fibre content is very poor in it. So, we are going to have a modified recipe to make the healthy version of pancakes for a healthy breakfast food.
- Whole wheat flour
- salt and water
- Honey (Optional)
- Add some eggs, whole wheat flour along with a pinch of salt, some sugar and mix it well. Make it to a medium consistency.
- The modification is, add whole wheat flour instead of the usual flour and add jaggery instead of sugar.
- Both of these modifications make the pancakes healthier to eat, especially in the morning. Mix the contents well and pour a small quantity into a pan to cook it.
- You can add honey, blueberry, strawberry or banana pieces for garnishing on top of these healthy pancakes.
Whole wheat flour Pancakes are ready! The same tasty ones with more healthy ingredients serving as a healthy breakfast idea for you!!
Finger millet bread (Ragi roti)
It’s another traditional Indian recipe containing another type of millet. Slightly brown in color and tastes good too. Finger Millet Bread is a healthy breakfast recipe to lose weight without compromising on healthy nutrients that it gives.
- Finger millet powder
- Green chillies
- Salt and water
- Take some Finger millet powder (ragi powder) which is commercially available in any retail store.
- Take some onions and green chillies, chop them into tiny pieces.
- Add them to the millet powder, add some salt to taste and mix it to a dough using water.
- Make small balls from the dough.
- Take a flat surface, like a plate or a vegetable cutting plate, spread a smooth wet cotton cloth over it.
- Place one of the balls prepared over this moist towel, lubricate your hands with water or oil and spread the dough ball into a flat, round shape using your hands.
- Carefully peel it off the towel and place it in a hot pan and allow it to get roasted (medium brown) on both sides.
Lots of proteins, adequate calories, vitamins, minerals, fibres and tasty too! It’s a quick breakfast recipe to set the day perfect. You can serve it with tomato sauce.
8. Breakfast Cereal Meal
Breakfast cereals, as the name suggests were made out of nutrients that would perfectly suit a breakfast food. But that was at its inception, now with more commercialisation and more instant food into the market, the original purpose is becoming obsolete.
But hey! these cereals could be used to make quick breakfast recipes that would be both quick and healthy. We’ll see a couple of such easy breakfast recipes.
- Coconut Buckwheat porridge:
The best thing about Coconut Buckwheat porridge is that it is gluten free breakfast and takes just 15 minutes to make.
- ¼ cup of toasted buckwheat which is ground,
- half a cup of coconut milk,
- ¾ cup of water.
- Some vanilla,
- shredded coconut,
- pecans and
- coconut syrup or maple syrup for flavor.
- Take some coconut milk, water, vanilla and honey in a vessel and start boiling it.
- Now add the buckwheat to boiling mix, stir well and slowly turn the flame low. You don’t want to overcook it.
- Cover the vessel and let it cook for about 8 minutes. Add some coconut milk if you feel the liquid is less. You want this to be a little liquidy and not very thick in consistency.
- Once done, transfer the above mix into a bowl.
- Sprinkle some shredded coconut, currants, pecans and coconut/maple syrup on top for garnishing.
- Quinoa Coconut Milk:
We already saw one Quinoa recipe above and this is another one full of proteins and other important nutrients needed for breakfast. It also contains lots of nuts which are healthy for our body.
- Take 2/3rd cup of quinoa,
- one cup of coconut milk,
- vanilla extract,
- sugar as much as you want (or you may even avoid it completely and replace with honey),
- a pinch of ground nutmeg,
- some cinnamon powder.
- Rinse the quinoa well before using.
- Combine all the above ingredients in a pan over medium flame.
- Cook for 15 minutes until quinoa has absorbed all excess liquid and can be fluffed.
- Garnish it with coconut milk, healthy nuts, fruits, organic honey or chocolate chips.
Some Quick Tips before Breakfast:
- Drink water after waking up.
- Perform exercises and yoga.
- Cleaning up your stomach helps in proper breakfast appetite.
- Go out in the sun and get some Vitamin D using natural sunlight.
- Serve all these dishes fresh.
Must Read: 10 Best Exercises to Perform while at Work
In these recipes, other variants using other commonly used breakfast cereals can also be tried. They are easy and quick breakfast recipes as well as serves as healthy breakfast ideas for your kids too.
Hope you liked all the recipes and make the best use of these healthy breakfast ideas to rock your day. Just writing about these makes me hungry, you might want to go and try some of these right away! Try everything each day and start your day off in an energetic way! Bon appetite!